Saturday, November 25, 2006

Strange Fruit

[Geographical Shift - 1500 miles east]

The killer has just been here. The girls hang from the doorway, swinging gently in the dry breeze. Kath is struggling, grunting and grasping for air and clawing at the rope. The other girl looks like she's already dead.

I remember the day I realized I hated Kath. Squeaky voice, soulless eyes, squat body, legs like tree trunks. It was an unconscious, visceral reaction, a revulsion to everything about another human being. A discovery - "So this is what it's like to truly hate someone." And I consider myself a pretty rational, non-judgemental person, willing to give everyone a chance. Except Kath. Something about her. I knew I despised her, even if I didn't know why.

Gary, normally so passive, so collected, is freaking out. He's scrambling around, almost running in different directions like a cartoon. He's the one with the giant duffel bag full of mysterious equipment, and he's asking me if I might have a rifle with a sighting scope nearby. A rifle with a scope? Oh, yeah, sure, Gary, I've got one right here, let me
shoot the fucking rope right now, why didn't I think of that?

Rifle or no, we get them down somehow. Kath is going to be all right, and I try to hide my disappointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home