Thursday, February 03, 2005

Church Trip

[Time Shift]
Janet and I are in church. It is clean and well lit, hundreds of people in rows of benches with red velvet seats and backs. The two rows in front of us are filled with blonde girls in white dresses, who get up and start to sing as part of the church service. I kind of want to sit in their empty rows, but I stay put.

It's more like a show than a church service, they are really going all out with songs and decoration and special effects. The girls in white dresses are being suspended in the air as part of the show. Are they on wires or can they really fly? Janet points at the floating choirgirls and says, "There's Herb and Abby". But the faces on the girls keep changing, I can't tell, and who the fuck is Herb anyway?

The next part of the church show has sparrows, tied to pink ribbons, lowered from the ceiling to fly over the audience. They reel the sparrows out on these red ribbons, and then reel them back up into the ceiling when their part of the show is over. The sparrows fly right up in front of your face, a foot or two away, but are held back by the ribbon. They're also covered in glitter or some gold glowing dust, which slowly falls from their wings. It's very beautiful, but I think the whole thing is kind of cruel to the birds. One sparrow snaps his ribbon and goes crashing to the floor right behind me. I turn around and there's a young boy in his blue church suit, heading for the stunned sparrow. "Don't touch him", I say, "Let him get up on his own." And sure enough, the bird hops up in a second and flies back to join his brothers.

I notice that behind me, where there used to be several rows of pews, my row is now the last row. Outside I can see a guy with a food cart, selling something. Janet turns to me and says, "I smell falafel. I'm totally going outside." And that's when I remember, and whisper in her ear, that I'm on LSD. Suddenly I can remember Angelica putting a crumbly sugar cube in my mouth this morning. That's why things have been so weird today! I think I really need to get out of this church.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home